Friday, December 31, 2010

New Years Resolutions!

Sorry lovelies for not posting all that regularly, but for the new year I'm going to make a real effort to get you as much information as I can! In fact, I'm making it one of my new year's resolutions to you. I know a lot of people make goals that are pretty all consuming, thus making them harder to reach. So instead, I'm challenging you to pick a resolution that's simple, easy to stick to, and above all good for your general well-being!


This year I start makeup school (in eleven days to be exact), so I really want to push myself harder to work on the little things I should be doing regularly, that we all might tend to slack on.


This year I will...
Properly clean my face every night
Dabbing a bit of water isn't enough when you're wearing a face full of makeup. It's important to remember to cleans and tone, as well as exfoliate one to twice a week. Some makeup is waterproof, and thus needs a real makeup remover to get it off your face. Remember, it's important to look for 'alcohol free' toners if you have dry skin, as the alcohol will almost completely dry out your skin. Also, a light moisturizer overnight will keep your skin looking soft, fresh, and glowing for the next day.


Keep my brows in shape
For about four years I was plucking my eyebrows out, and then drawing them on, so getting back into the swing of regular shaping has been a bit hard. We all slack from time to time, and for those who go get their brows shaped professionally, it can get harder to have regular grooming done (be it a lack of money or time). However, your brows are one of the biggest tells about yourself, looking clean and tidy above the eyes lets people know (even if you don't spend a lot of time on makeup, hair, or clothing) that you're a competent and put together person. Eyebrows are often neglected, so let's take the time out to do them right this year!

Drink my water
Getting your daily recommended amount of water (about eight glasses), will do so much for your overall health. Water is SO important for our bodies, it helps nourish your skin, as well as clear out any unwanted bacteria internally. Plus, keeping yourself well hydrated will ensure you have that extra energy to actually accomplish all of your other activities and resolutions.

Keep my brushes clean
For those that use makeup brushes, regardless of the quality, brand, or shape, a lot of people do not clean their brushes as regularly as they should be. Hygiene is so important, you wouldn't re-use the same underwear for a month, so why are you going to reuse a dirty brush? Brush cleaner is available at a number of places such as Mac, Sephora, Etc. personally though I use the "Quo" brand by Shopper Drugmart, as I find it to be very effective, and not too expensive. Ideally brushes should be cleaned once a week, just to get rid of residue and bacteria. However if you're doing someone else's makeup, your brushes should be cleaned before and after use on their face. To clean your brushes, simply spray the cleaner onto a double layer of toilet paper, and stroke the brush back and forth until nothing comes off.

Get regular trims
This is a good idea for anyone who wants to have healthier hair, but is even more important for anyone trying to grow their hair out. As the ends of your hair split, the strand becomes weaker, causing breakage (and the illusion of no growth). Instead of letting this happen for months, try getting your hair trimmed every six to eight months. This way, less has to be taken off to ends, and your hair won't have very long to split. I guarantee your hair's health will improve, and you will definitely see more growth!


Compliment myself every day
Okay, so I kind of already do this, and have been for a while. On those days you're really needing some self esteem, this is the best boost and will leave you feeling so much better about yourself. Simply look in the mirror and find five things you like about yourself, that make you feel beautiful. The key here is building up your confidence, and knowing that no matter what anyone else says, you know you're "hot shit". A lot of us get too wrapped up in whether others compliment us on our hair, outfit, skin, etc. and then get sent into a dithering fit if not one person says anything. I know in my early highschool days, a lot of the time I would wonder if I looked stupid on days I tried to think out of the box and put together something completely new, just because no one said a word. A confident smile should be your best accessory this year, so go ahead, tell yourself what you need to hear.

Get organized
I often forget to get rid of the things I can either no longer use, or no longer need/want. Therefor this week I am dedicating a day to 'early spring cleaning', where I'm going to be tossing out or expired makeup (aka mascara that's over three months old!), and putting a couple bags of clothes together for the Salvation Army. I'm basically a pack rat, and have so many things floating around my room that I'm sure other people could use more. It's a new year, which for me means a new start, so I really am going to make an effort to get my stuff together and organize my room in hopes my mind will follow.


So those are my resolutions and resolution recommendations, leave me a comment letting me know what yours are! I hope you guys take some of the ideas, you really can't go wrong by doing little things to improve your life. I wish you all a safe and happy New Year, with many more posts to come in 2011!

No comments: