Thursday, December 16, 2010

Drugstore Mascara Reviews

A quick review of some of the new(ish?) brands floating around the Pharmacy and Cosmetics section of my local Superstore that I thought I'd share with you.

The Good
Physicians Formula: Shimmer Strips Dual Mascara Black
Picked this up two days ago on a whim, it was on sale for 50% off (regular price is about $7) so I though I'd give it a try. Basically it's a dual ended mascara, one side being coloured (pink, purple, blue, gold, or green I believe), which I don't much care for but tested out anyway. If you are in the market for coloured lashes, this is a decent option, the colour is as even as you're going to get, though I really don't agree with their claim that green lashes bring out your green eyes but oh well. What I REALLY loved was the black end of the duo. The base of the brush is HUGE, whilst the bristles are on the shorter side, making it really easy to see where you're getting the mascara. However the best part is that it doesn't clump, your lashes don't stick together, and it is NOT flaky in the slightest. Once you put it on your eyes, it's going to be there, looking as though you just applied it until you take it off. Great product, I'll be looking out for this in the future to buy more!

The (not so) Bad
Maybelline: Lash Stiletto Mascara Black
 I absolutely love what this mascara looks like for the first hour or two after application. It does a great job of extending your lashes, while darkening them, and really adding a lot of fullness. Also, the packaging is super cute, and the brush is decent in quality, though maybe a bit small. On the down side you really have to work to get the clumps out, and this mascara will flake after a couple hours. Another thing is it isn't waterproof, which makes your lower lashes a little problematic if you're going for a cleaner no-lower shadow or liner look (though they did just come out with a waterproof version of the product, so I guess that's pretty irrelevant now). Also, the mascara is a bit sticky, but if you're going for a dramatic look, this should be your go-to lash product.

The Ugly
Maybelline: Volume Express the Falsies Mascara Black
UGH, sooo not cute, I really, really hate this mascara! I again bought it on a whim due to it being on sale, and now I can see why. The ads for this are so misleading (As are most mascara ads), and the product formula is garbage. If you want clumpy, sticky, never fully dry, eye irritating, takes a day to get off, flaky, messy, lashes, then go ahead and buy this because that's exactly what you're going to get. I'd like to say this works well when used with another mascara, but all it does is make you want to pull your hair out in anger. Seriously, I'll never buy this again. Even though it was sealed and packaged, it looks, smells and acts like an expired makeup product. This really makes me want to stop buying Maybelline mascaras all together, waterproof is the only legitimate claim this product has.

4 comments:

Elizabeth. said...

It might just be me, but I've noticed that more of the lesser known mascara brands are way better than the ones advertised in commercials. :/
At least for me anyway. (I can't spend the money on the well known stuff, pfft.)
But at least now I know what to stay away from for sure! ♥

I'd like to see some tutorials from you. c:

taylordurden said...

Aww! Same here, I picked up all of these at either half price ($3-4) or I got them free with a bow of hair dye. For me it's REALLY not feasable to go out and spend $20+ dollars on mascara, so it's all about the sales!

And yeah, I should have about a zillion tutorials coming in the new year! Gotta get me a better recording divice than my blackberry though lol.

Marianna said...

I couldn't agree with you more on this post. The maybelline mascara sucks so hard. I actually thought it was expired when I bought it because it sucked so much lol. Love your blog :) keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

Very similar.