Monday, November 8, 2010

Three Cheers for Material Objects!

Just going to take a couple minutes here to to unload this happy-pink-sugar feeling I have over actually getting to go out and buy things in the past week n____n

L e  P u r c h a s e s
Available in store or at www.hottopic.com
1. 'Hello Zombie' Shirt from Hot Topic
Cost- $28 plus taxes
Okay, so I saw this shirt online a couple weeks ago and was instantly smitten. Seeing as it combines two of my most favourite things (Zombies and Hello Kitty), I knew I HAD to get it. Overall it's a comfortable t-shirt, with a nice fit to it (shape-wise), and on top of that it didn't shrink in the was (bonus). That being said, I know I paid a little too much for it, really I think we can all agree that $28 is a bit too much for a t-shirt. Still, I love it to death, the 'Hello Zombie' Hello Kitty line was an excellent idea from Sanrio, I hope they do more promotions like this in the future. The line also includes another shirt, sweatshirt (which I want but cannot find), a plush keychain and 6 inch plush, hair ties, clips, purse, necklace, and bracelets.




Most styles available at Winners or various
online stores, check in from time to time!

2. Betsey xox Socks from Winners
Cost- $2 - 9.99 plus taxes
I love Winners (equivalent to T.J. Maxx in the States) They always have great little finds at great prices, in the last week I purchased two sets (four pairs total) of discontinued Betsey Johnson knee-thigh high socks($2 for set of two), and one pair of tights ($9.99). Unfortunately in my haste to try them on when i got home I ripped through the packaging and tossed it, thus losing the sku information so I can't give you an item number to look up. Also on the down side, since i lost my camera cable connector, I don't have a picture of any of the five items (fail) and was unable to track down images off the net. Overall though, the stockings, (which are a deep green-black colour, adorned with neon pink rose buds and grey leaves in a tattoo style print) were my favourite of the bunch, a close second to the skeleton leg knee high socks (black knit socks with a skeleton leg design, and pink bow print). My only issue was that the second pair of socks that came in each set were rather boring, all black with pink tow accents (not quite my style).


3. Iridescent Heart Necklace from Hot Topic

Available at Hot Topic.
Cost- $8.50 plus taxesMy mother actually saw this and instantly fell in love with it, so she bought it for me. I really like it though, measures about an inch and a half in height, same in width. It's a 3D plastic heart on a metal chain, treated to give off a rainbow sheen in different lighting. I thought the price was good, and have so far been able to work it into a variety of outfits, it's pretty neutral but really gives a cute and somewhat flashy element to your look. Since it's a bigger accessory, I wouldn't pair it with any other necklaces (though I did wear it with a pink pearl string, in a more extravagant outfit and in my opinion it didn't look too bad). That being said, I took it off last night before going to bed, left it on the table in my room, and in the morning when I went to put it on it had split down the middle (inexplicably), which leaves a question of quality (seeing as the other heart necklace, I bought from Hot Topic also broke after a couple days of wearing and cost twice the price). So I'd say if you really like it go for it, but if you're looking for durability you might just want to pass! This necklace also comes in a pendant style, with a chain that's about two point five times the length.
4. Black Suede, Strapped, Studded, Micheal and Bordeaux Ankle Boots
Cost- $39.99 plus taxes

Not the exact boots I bought, but a similar style.

I'd been looking for a pair of boots like this for a while (and I mean a WHILE). Three things I've really wanted for the fall are: a pair of ankle boots and a pair of boots that reach my mid calf (one grey, one black, one leather, one suede), and a nicer leather bag, preferably studded. MY only issue was that I didn't want to pay a fortune for them. After looking around and being my picky self ('I must LOVE them to buy them' being my mantra) for months, I popped into a little mock-brand-name discount shoe store called 'Micheal & Bordeaux' (I'd give you a link, but for some reason they aren't findable anywhere online) and fell in love (relatively). I really like the style, having the top being so wide allows for you to really wear anything with the boots, (especially if you have bulkier pants around the ankle). The studs and straps also allow you put a little more of your personality into them, plus the fact that they're flat make them more practical for challenging weather.
 Other features I'd say to look out for would be:
  • Always buy boots a size up! It's just a good rule of thumb, usually they run a little small.
  • Look for a warmer lining (faux fur, microfiber, etc.) fall is COLD in Canada.
  • Buy something neutral that you're not going to end up hating! If you're buy it because it's trendy, that trend will end and then you're stuck with boots that you're not going to wear again.  


5. Grey and Black Knit Thigh-High Socks from Winners
Cost- $4.99 each plus taxes
An excellent idea for fall/winter, the thicker the better! I bought a pair in both black and charcoal grey from Winners, though I also saw them selling for up to $9.99 each. The ones I bought have a cable knit design, which turns into a closer knit ribbing at the top. I really like them for the element of texture they add to an outfit, not to mention the warmth! The first time I wore them I paired them with the Betsey print stockings I mentioned for number 2 in this blog, as well as the boots i listed as number 4. Though usually worn with a skirt, they work over pants, under pants, over legging/ stocking or just on your bare legs. Seriously get some, they're a great staple in a wardrobe for any time of the year, and for the trend conscious, they keep circulating back into popular fashion. I'd advise starting out with neutrals and then building upon different prints, textures, and colours. They're usually pretty inexpensive, and just add to a look, giving it the impression of being more 'styled'.
6. Butterball Bath Bomb from Lush

Cost- $4.75 plus taxes


Available in store or at Lush.com

Words cannot describe how amazing this little bath bomb is for your skin. This Bomb is filled with tons of little cocoa butter chunks, that release on your skin in the tub so that when you come out you can't help but touch yourself (mind out of the gutter, I mean like your stomach and legs!). It smells like vanilla, and ugggh it's just so hydrating and nice! The average size in about ninety grams, so a good idea is to break the bomb in half and get two uses out of it versus just plopping it in the tub and getting one. It's a great idea for having a little you time in the tub, or as a gift for a friend. The down side is the cocoa butter leaves a bit of a residue on the tub that you'll have to clean up later (though you'll be cleaning it with super soft skin that smells like vanilla, so it won't be a totally daunting task). Initially launched as a Christmas item (Mr. Butterball, same thing only snowman shaped), I'm really happy they continued it all year long.


No comments: