Sunday, November 7, 2010

Broke, but Fabulous?

Sorry guys, this last week and a bit has had me so frazzled (moving my sister into her new condo, painting said condo, cleaning said condo, and a little partying on the side xP) that I haven't really had a chance to do much conceptually for this blog, so you're going to have to bare with me here.

Anyway! Today i wanted to talk about, well, essentially how broke I am. As some of you may have experienced, it's been pretty hard to find jobs this past year. I personally have handed out/ emailed about five million resumes, only to find that absolutely no one is hiring (except for a few less than legal jobs I was offered, but turned down on account of my darn morals).
So getting around to the topic of the day, free stuff!
I know I've said in a couple other blogs that I've received different products from people I know, and though some of you may not have that luxury, they're a ton of things out there you can get for zero dollars (or at least on major discount), which are fantastic!

Free Things!
To start out, a lot of different store chains and independent retailers from time to time offer free samples (very rare for drug stores) either as a promotion or for specific offers.
One example would be Sephora. Each of their locations offer a free 'Beauty Insider Card' which allows frequent shoppers to accumulate points off of each purchase that in turn to towards free products in the future. The only down side to this is that the choices on what you can get are limited between what they are currently offering (this varies from season to season). Alas, another excellent perk to the card is that upon going to the store a week before or after your birthday you are given a 'birthday present' (again, it changes yearly). Generally the gift is a three pack sampler of store-brand items such as a tri-pack of tinted glosses, or a mini set of Sephora-brand eye liner, shadow, and mascara (all of which i still use today, other than the mascara which was tosses after the three month usage period). 
Finally, when shopping at Sephora.com, with every purchase you are given the option of choosing three free sample products which may be anything from eyeshadow to perfume to brand name skin products (a perk I very much enjoy).






My second example (and probably the more frequently used one) is MAC Cosmetics. Now, unless you're working for MAC and or are on their list of artists, the chances of you getting into their sales are well, highly unlikely. But something that MAC offers to everyone are free samples of the majority of their products. Now when I say sample you may think "okay, wow I can use this once, great." Fortunately the portions are relatively generous, comparable to the amount of loose powder you might find in a shaker from Faces. The sample container dimensions are about the size of a quarter around, and a centimeter in height (usually filled all the way, though it depends on the person filling them. A couple times I've had to question if there was actually any makeup inside of the jar). This is a great way to try out different colours and levels of sheen on your skin in the comfort and lighting on your own home. I'll warn you though, I have only tried to get samples of foundation (liquid) and loose pigments, I doubt that anything solid would be sampleable (never hurts to ask though?). As well, the maximum number of samples is generally three per person so I'd recommend not going in and trying to 'sample' the entire store (lol).


 
Finally we come to Lush, one of my FAVOURITE stores, ever. They also have a sample program, much similar to both listed above. They offer product samples (up to three per visit) on everything from face masks, shampoos, shower jelly, soap, bath bombs, and bubble bars. Generally though these samples are one use, and quite small proportionally. However, they frequently have sales, and do promotions that allow for free products to be won or given out to patrons, no strings attached. I seriously cannot talk up how much I love this store (to get off topic for a moment), I have been truly impressed by every product I have purchased, and on top of that the staff is always so friendly and informative. I love that each product has a cute name and little story, and for those who need to grab a gift for a friend, they offer colourful and fun wrapped boxes with excellent assortments inside. As well, for vegans and alike, they have a large assortment of usable products, that are in addition: fair trade and all natural. They even have stickers on every packaged product telling you who it was made by on which date, and when it will be expired. All in all, the store it's self is an experience I would really urge you to pursue. Currently, their online promotion is that you get ten dollars back when you spend over a hundred dollars online (though that's a little much for a blog about being cashless, oh well).


So there we have some of the bigger places I like to go to for my free products. Another great strategy though is by looking at sites like Groupon or likewise who let you know about special promotions such as buy one get one free or other deals. Also, if you live in Canada, for those who shop at Zellers, the Bay or Home Outfitters, you can collect points on an 'HSBC Rewards Card' (costs around $30 to sign up for though). Which can later be redeemed for gift cards you can use at The Bay's beauty counters (MAC, Anna Sui products, etc). Lastly, there are always a ton of style/ photo/ makeup competitions going on all over the internet. Usually all you need to enter is a camera, computer, and mailing address. A recent one I saw was for Sugar Pill Cosmetics, it was a Halloween Competition where the winners in each category received free shadow pallets from the new brand. However if you're going to choose this rout, I would strongly advise doing some research ahead of time, don't want to end up on some creepy mailing list for something you've never heard of (or illegal, lol).

No comments: