Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Loving as of Late

Just wanted to make a little post about a couple things I've been a tad bit obsessed with for the past little while. With Christmas coming up, (I dunno about you, but) all my money is being spent on the people around me (which is one of my favourite things! I love buying/ making people gifts xD), buut it's leaving a little bit to be desired on my end. So while you're running around trying to get people new things, I think it's nice to take a bit of time out to do something special for yourself. So instead of going out and buying a present, why not re-gift some of your old stuff to yourself?

Making the Old New Again, DIY Fixes!

  Decoden Phone Cases!
Well it's not JUST  phone cases that are getting bedazzled, but they're my favourite accessory out of the bunch. Taking something as boring and utilitarian as a phone case, and making it look that spectacular and personal is something I think more people should do. Really, it's not that hard to do for yourself (just a little pricey for the materials, $20 or so if you shop smart and look for discounts), there are plenty of tutorials on Youtube, the hardest part is just picking out and finding your colours. I love these so much, maybe it's just me, but I can't help but smile when I see them (I'll post a picture of my current work in progress in the next week). They're also great because when you get bored of it, or want different colours you can switch it with another. I also really like them because they make great gifts, and really show someone how much you care by all the effort put  into them.



Decora Nails!
So again, maybe you've seen these, maybe you haven't. From just past your finger tips to two inches long, I think they're fabulous (though maybe not so practical for the super long ones) and can really make a statement. Plus they're great for giving you that extra little bounce in your step, because so often people neglect their nails, even though they can be one of your best accessories (not to mention that they can really polish up your look). Basically for those who don't know they're painted nails with little 3D appliques like small charms or rhinestones. You can either do this right on your nail, or you can use false nails that you design and then glue on. Personally though I prefer to just do this right on the nail, though again you can do a false set and then re-use it later or make a set and gift it to a friend. Again, there are plenty of Youtube tutorials.

Cut-it-out T-shits!
I don't know about you, but I have a MILLION old concert shirts that I've accumulated over the years (GIANT t's) that I mostly just wear around my house or to bed because they're just so big. Recently it's been pretty popular to cut the collar hole larger and make them more of a "slouchy" off the shoulder top (which is nice), but I prefer to take it a step further. You can easily add shape by cutting the sides into strips and tieing them at the back to add shape and show a little more skin. Or if they're long enough, even turn them into a dress with no more than a pair of scissors and a couple knots. Another idea is creating a messy v-neck collar by just cutting the "v" shape into the neckline, or cutting off the sleeves down to mid-torso and creating a tank-top. Of course, I don't really like to advertise to the world what my bra looks like, so I would deffs advise wearing either a bandeau or making some kind of tube top to wear underneath.

         Add Glitter to Everything!
Remember those "glitter jeans" that used to be in style for kids ten years ago? Well that's pretty much the idea here. I was out with a friend and I saw this skirt that I've been wanting for a while, it's by Tripp NYC, and is essentially denim covered in a distressed metallic finish. I love it, but am not willing to pay $80 for it. Later I was at home and decided I'd use the idea to make something similar. So i grabbed a skirt (denim looks best for this in my opinion), some spray glue (the hardcore industrial stuff from the hardware store) and some facial glitter (it works best because the pieces are smaller) and went at it. First I sprayed the skirt then added a modest sprinkle of glitter, doing one side at a time and letting the glue dry. Overall the skirt was a little stiff, but still wearable and cute.

Unconventional Accessories!
I really love unconventional uses for things (scrunchy as a bracelet? Or better yet, around your ankles with a pair of co-ordinating heels, sounds crazy but try it! It's a little more daring, but who knows, you might love it). I find there are a lot of things that have a lot of uses if you just think a little outside the box. For example, old broaches can become hair accessories, as can bigger rings. Necklaces can become bracelets or belts, or even be used on your shoes to change-up a pair of heels. Purse charms can be attached to a belt or pair of pants to add interest to a look, as can bracelets with bigger charms. It might sound crazy to read, but the right accessories can work in a lot of different ways. Old broken necklaces can have pieces popped off and made into a really cool ring with a little glue. So get creative with your style and experiment a little.

2 comments:

BiqqDaddyyCee said...

where can i find the bedazzled hello kitty jewles at,?

taylordurden said...

A good place to check for deco supplies is www.etsy.com
OR if you have a local asian mall/ china town, I'm sure you could find some there C: